NVASHAG

The life of a Middle Aged American Man. Life as I know it !

Thursday, April 06, 2006

Oh What A Trip...


I am half way recovered . This was the longest period of time I have been away from Maryna and the kids in a long time. It was a very long and I will not go alone again if I can help it.
The trip over was fine until I hit Budapest. One bag was lost and it had to be the bag with the gifts and most of my clothes in it. I was sure I would never see it again. The flight arrived on time , my driver and pal were waiting on me and I was stuck in the baggage claim filling out paper work . I was given a token lost baggage payment and a promise that my bag if found would be brought to my flat. I am very lucky in that I have always had my bags arrive and no problems with losing them. I guess it just goes to show you that it can and will happen when you least need it to.
I had no idea that it would take 10 hours of crazy driving and a even crazier customs border Officer to make it home to Uzhgorod. The trip from the airport started with a very long trip through down town Budapest. This is a new way I thought. Nope my pal was lost. For the past few years when we leave the airport we have always turned left. Always, every time left turn and away we go to our favorite pub to have a real meal and a few drinks . Not this time. We went straight and then right. The fun had just started. I can't describe what happened in the next few hours because I was as lost as a person can be and still be on earth. Well guess what ? So was Norek. When we had crossed the river for the third time, I had thoughts of walking and beating him home. It is a strange feeling when you know the area better that your driver does. After he stopped in the middle of the road for the 8th time to ask anyone that would speak to him directions, I ask him if I could drive. No! I drive!! Ya'll ever had to pee so bad that it hurt ? This is a bad feeling that gets worse as time passes. My pal speaks , Russian, Ukrainian, Slovik and no English, well he can say" big problem" and did many times during the trip. When he stopped for the 9th time I just got out and peed on the side of the road.

To make a long trip short , after a 10 hour drive 1 crazy drunk customs officer we arrived home to a very worried Natasha and a calling every hour Maryna

More of this trip later. The fun just gets better and better.

3 Comments:

  • At 6:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sounds like the beginning of the journey from hell...though, presumably as you made it back all went well?

     
  • At 4:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    okay lets hear the rest!

     
  • At 6:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yeah, where's the rest, sounds like it's going to a heck of a story!

    Beautiful photo!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home